Sunday, May 27, 2012

Something New: Tasha Turner Blog Tour

The Tasha Turner Coaching Virtual Blog Tour Has Begun!

This week marks the beginning of the Tasha Turner Coaching Blog Tour. Each Sunday I will be adding a posting from my guest blogger for that week. I have written a blog post as well which can be seen on Linda Bolton's blog at http://lindabolton.blogspot.com/2012/05/guest-blogger-allison-bruning.html.

My guest for this week is Anjiie Harrt.


The Thin line between lying and storytelling
When I was a child, my mother worked as a domestic helper and nanny to a family with three children. She worked from 6am to 6pm Mondays to Saturdays. We lived in a small flat cottage with little  apartments. When my mother would come off the bed around 3am to prepare for the day; cooking, cleaning and washing, I would get off as well and lie on the chair in the little living room. Before she left for work I would have already had a bath, had my hair combed and decorated with my school ribbons and I would also have been semi dressed.
Being semi awake since 3am and already dressed and waiting from 6am to 9am, when school would be called in, was boring. So most days I would leave home since 7, sometimes 7:30 am and wait outside the closed school on the verandah, unknown to my hardworking mother, of course.
Soon, that too became boring. There were two or three children who came that early for school. So, to keep us entertained I used to tell stories. Enid Blyton was the first author I read outside of nursery rhymes and most of my stories were inspired by her work. I told stories, which many children believed to be true, about little people living under my floor boards, about the spirit under the bamboo tree in the back of my yard, about the girl who danced through my street late at night and many more.
Soon, it became hard to keep up with the stories I told, since they were all made up. I would mess up on the details and things would change day to day. Some of my listeners, an audience that had grown from two or three to five or ten, would notice. So, at nights I would write down my stories, keeping little exercise books with stories and information pertaining to them. This was how I kept track of my lies.
When I wrote composition for exams in school, I would always be the first to finish because I always had a story in my mind.
 When I became a teenager my stories changed. I started reading Sweet Valley High, Mills and Boons, Harlequin novels and the like. My stories were now about rendezvous with dark and handsome men and there were times when I myself believed them. I kept a diary, but truthfully, my diary was boring in comparison to my exercise books of stories I wrote for friends. Somewhere along the way I lost those stories, those books, and leaflets of my lies, and tales.
 Life came at me fast and hard and all I managed was a scribbling here or there; a poem about a lost love, a beautiful butterfly, a pain within. It was scarcely done, but I always managed to write something or the other.   
Then, Nanowrimo came and I searched for that girl within me, that liar who couldn’t stop telling tales. This is how I started to write and became inspired to continue telling more of those stories that created themselves in my head. Now I find that every time something happens to me, or I meet someone new I go into this sort of day dream where my mind thinks, “What if this happens, or that happens.” From these ‘what ifs’ I create my stories.
I haven’t published anything, since my nanovel is still waiting to be edited. I am working on a novel called An Unexpected Desire, which I hope to publish soon. One day I hope to be called a novelist, whether I choose to self publish or traditional publish is yet to be seen.
I started writing to escape boredom, and continued writing to escape life. I read because I can escape into another world, another country or another scene. Writing and reading makes my life exciting and adventurous.
* *       *          *          *          *         
Anjie Harrte: Romance with some Caribbean flavour
Anjie Harrte is a twenty nine year old mother of one who resides in sunny Guyana, South America. Sometime between running a small business, having a full time job and being a mother and partner she finds time to pursue her passion for creating stories. Anjie dreams up stories of contemporary fiction splashed with some romance, a little dose of murder or an ounce of suspense and sometimes when no one is looking she dashes in a little twist. When she isn’t doing any of that, she is decorating a cake, knitting a chair back or sewing her latest design. Anjie even finds time to lurk around and stalk people and pages on facebook and you too can stalk her if you like at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anjie-Harrte/  or you can follow her on twitter @anjieharrte or keep updated with her writing at http://authoranjieharrte.blogspot.com/


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me Allison, this is all so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job ladies!! Loved learning about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic stuff Anjie!

    Interesting that our writing past is similar.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out my guest posting on Linda Bolton's blog at http://bit.ly/LBWtP6

    ReplyDelete