Monday, August 6, 2012

BlogFlash 2012/6: A Good Writer Is A Good Reader

August 6, 2012

You Have To Read If You Want To Succeed!



If I could give one piece of advice to any author, other than to never give up on chasing their dreams, I would have to say "You cannot succeed if you don't read." Why? Every genre had it’s own literary flow. A historical fiction isn’t going to read like a romance book and vice versa, for example. If you are going to write in any genre you need to read books from that genre. By reading both books in the genre you are writing in, you will start to find your own voice. That is how authors are made.  

4 comments:

  1. So true. I am finding that whatever genre I am reading at the time, influences my style of writing.I love reading almost anything so hopefully my writing will still surprise as I find my voice, good piece chick. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really didn't understand that concept until recently.

      Delete
  2. Well darn it, Allison, then I did it all wrong. I simply had a bunch of books inside me and started to write. Granted, I already had earned a couple of degrees in English and Comp. Lit, so I was force-fed a bunch of "classics," and I had actually read a lot of books. But when I finally sat down at the keyboard, I wrote what my frenzied muse dictated, all the while she was kicking me in the gut and the butt too.

    I don't disagree with you at all, by the way. As they say, learn to write a sonnet, then go off and write free verse and call yourself a poet. Immerse yourself in the milieu, know the genres, before you break the rules. I guess I did that. :-D

    Enjoyed your article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin. I would never have thought about the different voices each genre has until recently. I'm learning that when I want to write in a specific genre I should read from the genre first.

      Delete