Friday, August 24, 2012

#BlogFlash2012: The Woods


This week we were asked to write about the woods. I have always loved the outdoors. One of my favorite things to do is to go hiking in the woods. There is nothing like taking a hike in the backwoods somewhere. My love with the outdoors began at an early age for me. It was in Girl Scouts that my fascination with the camping, hiking and anything to do with the woods began. I was an avid backpacker with the dream to hike to Appalachian Trail someday. I still hold to that dream but haven't been able to work on that goal. Every summer my mom would send me to 4H camp, church camp and Girl Scout camp. By the time I was in  High School I was so in love with the woods I wanted to work at a camp. I was even an expert at surviving in the wilderness. I have never been more in my element than in the middle of the woods.

Nowadays, when I walk in the woods my mind wanders. I think about what life must have been like in the woods for the Native Americans and early explorers. It helps me to connect with a part of American history that has been long since forgotten with our cities. I love to write about the cultures of Woodland natives. They are so fascinating to me. I also love to experience life like they would have. The woods. A place of peace, tranquility and knowledge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment