Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's the Next Best Thing - Irish Style



Artwork done by Pride of the Irish
@https://www.facebook.com/PrideOfTheIrish


What is the title of your book? 

Gaelic Twist of Fate: Bailey's Revenge
This is book one of a series. 


Where did the idea for the book come from?   

I was working on the sequel to Calico when the seed for this story had popped up in a dialogue between two new characters. When I left Little Acorns I had them pull Calico from the market. My new publisher and I decided Calico needed more work done to it. I asked if I could redo the series.  My interest has shifted from just telling the series through the twins to representing their grandmother, mother and daughters with their own series. I also had a lot of fans tell me they wanted to hear Anna's story.  The response was yes. Gaelic Twist of Fate traces the story of Calico's grandmother, Kathleen McGillpatrick, in Ireland. Anna will be born in this series. The next series will be about Anna, how she met Calico's father and her life in the wild Kentucky frontier. The third series will be the Children of the Shawnee series which is Calico's story. The final series will be about Calico's daughter and their life in Techumseh's village. Four series with powerful, strong women who transformed their lives to better themselves and their family.

What genre does your book fall under?  

Historical fiction with a strong female lead. 


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?  

It will be published by Master Koda Select Publishing. You can learn more about the house at http://masterkodaselectpublishing.com


How long did it take you to write the first draft of your book? 

I'm still writing it. I just finished the first 50,000 words of the manuscript with NaNoWriMo and plan to have the first draft finished in December. 



Give a one sentence synopsis of your work. 

 When the sister of an Irish  Catholic rebel leader falls in love with an English Protestant Earl she must choose between the loyalty to her family or the love she has for her enemy. Who will she betray?

What other works would you compare your story to?  

Great question! I am a huge fan of Margaret George and the way she allows her readers to hear the untold stories of history through a strong female's voice. I try to do that with my books as well. 

I have been told by my publisher that my book reminds her of Brad Fleming's new book "Role of Dishonor" His main character's name is Kathleen and she falls in love with her enemy. My book takes place in 1738 Ireland when the Penal Codes were in effect. Brad's takes place in modern Ireland and deals with the same Catholic-Protestant issues mine deals with. Both our main characters are named Kathleen. We didn't know about each other's books while we were writing them. 

Who or What inspired you to write this book? 

I think the four series I mentioned above have been in the making for awhile. When I started writing Calico I had no idea it would become so large that I would have to break it up. I have a long list of books that are my WIP to do board and am looking forward to writing them. 

As for Bailey's Revenge. I have always been interested in Irish culture and history. When I was writing Calico I really wanted to make certain Calico's mother was Irish pretending to be English. I knew there were conflicts between Anna's parents. I also know Kathleen was hiding secrets from her children in order to protect them and that Kathleen's sister, Fiona, raised Kathleen's children. I also knew Kathleen would speak Gaelic to her children and secretly teach them the old Irish ways. Isaac would demand his children to claim their British heritage over their Irish one. He would beat them anytime they didn't or disobey them. I had all of this in place before I laid a single word down. I also had Fiona's admission to Pierre in Rose that her son, Tomas was Anna's first husband. She went into detail about Anna's childhood and the circumstances. With these tidbits already in place I dove into research about Ireland during the mid 18th century and began to write. 


And here's a taste of Bailey's Revenge
 
“What brings you to my estate,” Tomas asked Earl Isaac Turner.

“I have heard rumors Bailey McGillpatrick has been seen in the vicinity. I thought perhaps you had information concerning his whereabouts.”

Tomas swallowed hard. How could word have reached his friend of Bailey’s presence in Collinsworth? Hadn’t he been cautious enough to ensure Bailey and his family’s safety? “I have no knowledge of his location. Perhaps he has travelled north towards Dublin.”

“I had thought the same yet one of your tenant farmers has come forth with information claiming he saw a band of rebels carrying Bailey and Sherlock’s bodies in the back of a wagon towards your great house.”

Tomas chuckled, “And you believed him? No Catholic tenant farmer on my estate is loyal to me. I betrayed my family.”

“This person was not Catholic.”

Tomas stopped in the middle of the road at the base of the hill. Every protestant family he lorded over or was friends with had believed his lies. Who could have possibly betrayed him? Isaac stared at him with a serious look.  “Are you insinuating that I had something to do with the rebels,” Tomas asked.

“Do you?”

“I am insulted, Isaac. If I had knowledge of the rebel’s location you would be the first I would divulge that information to. How could you believe I would betray you?”

A moment of tension and silence passed between the two men.  Tomas held his gaze on Isaac as his friend studied his reaction. Every minute mannerism had to be controlled. Isaac was not only a master manipulator but also an excellent human lie detector. The English Earl could never learn the truth. Tomas was harboring rebels, helping Catholic priests and allowing the priests to hold mass in his home for the entire Catholic population of Collinsworth.  As if those activities weren’t enough to endanger his livelihood, Tomas was also one of Bailey’s closest advisors. Should Isaac ever learn of Tomas’ treason he could steal the estate from him. He had to convince Isaac he was on the wrong path. He took a step towards the barrel chested man. “Isaac, I think you have paranoid.”

“Paranoid?”

“You had captured Bailey and Sherlock McGillpatrick, tortured them and then went to England to report you had two of the most wanted Irish rebel leaders in custody. When you returned they had escaped. I know, my dear friend, that must have hurt not only your pride but also your standing at court. You’re looking to lie blame with someone when it was your own ignorance that allowed the transgression to come to pass.”

Isaac clutched his jaw. “Forgive me,” he snarled.

No comments:

Post a Comment