Friday, December 7, 2012

CWA: Patchy and Calico



Sunlight gently flows down upon the cartoon world as you sit in a circle with Dalton and the rest of cruise participants. Peace surrounds you. You can't believe your eyes. A few days ago you couldn't leave the cruise ship due to the threat of zombies. Snoe Gainey had come on board to tell everyone about her zombie filled world. Afterwards you were awe struck at how a woman her age had continue to survive. She had taken the oil container with the zombie head, left the vessels and your ship had disappeared. You have no idea where the vessel had gone. Only that Tasha and Dalton said they had to make certain there were no remnants of zombies on board. It had taken days for Dalton and Tasha to examine ship and passengers. Once the vessel was declared zombie cleared it jumped through time and space again.

You awoke this morning to find that you had become a cartoon. Everything around you was a cartoon as well. It was a big odd at first to operate in this environment but you were finding it was a great relief from the world you had just come from. You could do things in this cartoon body that you could never do with your own. 

"Mama, look," a young girl yells from the edge of your circle. 

Conversations begin to cease as they turn their heads in the direction the young girl is pointing. A dog and a cat run side by side, teasing each other as they enter your circle. They sit in the middle of the circle and begin to talk.







 “Hey Calico, we’ve been asked to tell these folks about the world we live in. I don’t know what to say. How about you doing the talking.”
   
“Patchy, this is the first time I’ve ever seen you unwilling to be the center of attention. Why don’t we just tell them about some of the places we have visited lately?”
  
“Okay, that sounds like a great idea, Calico.” 

[Patchy pauses for a few minutes to gather his thoughts] “Well first of all, my name is Patchwork Dog and my friend is Calico Cat. We love to go exploring and have adventures and…”
   
“Uh- hum Patchy, tell the truth. You love to go exploring and have adventures. I have to tag along to keep you out of trouble.”
   
“Ah Calico, not all the time. You enjoyed going to the beach, didn’t you?”
   
[The cat smiles] “Oh yes, the beach was great. But who was it that got pinched by a fiddler crab on his big black nose?”
   
[Patchy hangs his head] “That was me, but my nose only hurt for a little while. Anyway, I learned a valuable lesson, not to stick my nose where it does not belong. Let’s talk about something else. How about the time I protected you from a big bad thunderstorm?”
   
“We wouldn’t have been caught outside by the thunderstorm if you had listened to me instead of following the trail of that skunk, Patchy. We got stuck in a garden shed all night with that grouchy skunk because you slammed the door shut. We missed our supper and had to sleep on the yucky, dirty, hard floor. That was one of your adventures I’d rather forget!”
   
“Yea, I guess so but look at the bright side. It could have been worse. That skunk could have sprayed us.  Hey, I remember one of our adventures that made you really happy. How about when we got to perform in a circus, now that was a lot of fun!”
   
“Oh Patchy, I loved that. We did all kinds of tricks and the audience loved us. I’d like to do that again next year when the circus comes back to our town. It was wonderful except for the silly clothes we had to wear. What made it even better is that you had to give me all your cheese snacks that evening. Ummm, that was good.”
   
“You tricked me, Calico into giving you all my treats.”
   
“No, I didn’t trick you. You promised to give me all your treats if I went with you while you were checking out the tents in Mr. Johnson’s field. I just had to remind you of your promise.”
   
“You have played some mean tricks on me, Calico. Like when you told me I could fly like a bird.”
   
“That was so funny, Patchy. You ran down the hill so fast that you did get off the ground and fly…a little bit.
   
“Yea, the flying part was fun but the landing wasn’t very nice, it hurt. I really did get to fly one day in Mr. Wilson’s airplane. You didn’t get to go because you were a scaredy cat and hid in the bushes.”
   
“Oh well, that was okay. I would rather keep my four feet on solid ground, I don’t want to fly or [Calico begins to laugh] go out in the lake in a boat. You had a rather interesting boat ride, didn’t you, Patchy?”

“No one wants to hear about my boat ride, Calico. Anyway, that was last summer. It’s wintertime now and I’m getting in the Christmas spirit. How about you Calico?”

“Oh yeah, Patchy, time to help Mommy and Daddy decorate the tree and give presents to all our friends. Who knows kind of mischief you’re going to get into.

" I think it’s time for us to go now. Thank you everybody for taking a look at the world through our eyes. If you want to read some more about us and our grand adventures, take a look at our books, Patchwork Dog and Calico Cat and Patchy and Calico’s Summer Vacation. We have a brand new book called Christmas with Patchy and Calico too. All the books are for kids of all ages, 5 to 99 years old. See ya later…..”









Who is Greta Burroughs?
Greta Burroughs loves to read. No matter where she is, there is always a book close at hand. Her love of reading began at an early age and blossomed over time to include many different genres, her favorite now being fantasy. As a preschool and elementary school teacher, Greta tried to instill the joy of reading in the children she worked with. Books were an important part of her classroom and story time was the highlight of the day.  It has been a while since Greta was in a classroom but she had lots of experience in reading to children of various ages and remembers what they enjoyed listening to. She tries to incorporate that knowledge into her work as an author and believes it makes her a better writer of children's and young adult books. Greta has six books published at the present time; three in the Patchwork Dog and Calico Cat series, two MG/YA fantasies entitled Gerald and the Wee People,and House on Bo-Kay Lane and a nonfiction account of her experiences with an autoimmune blood disorder called ITP - Heartaches and Miracles.
   For more information on Greta's books visit http://booksbygretaburroughs.weebly.com



1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love these books. The pooch and the kitty are great fun.

    ReplyDelete