Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Next Best Thing: #Steampunk!


I want to thank my friend, Brad Fleming for inviting me to participate on his Next Best Thing Blog Hop. Brad is an author from the United Kingdom. His first novel Role of Dishonour was recently released by the same publishing house I use,  MasterKoda Select. You can learn more about him on his blog at http://bradfleming.co.uk/blog/


Steam Tractor by roger4336
@http://www.flickr.com/photos/24736216@N07/4329765097/

What is the title of your book? 

Field of Grace


Where did the idea for the book come from?   

I had been asked to write a short story for the Tasha Turner Blog Tour last summer. I was trying to come up with something to write about so I went searching through many of the family stories on my mother's side. I came across an article in the July 17, 1916 Marion Star about my Great Grandfather Herbert Danner. It was a story I had never heard about in my family. Here is a copy of that article. 



I was intriqued with the story and wondered if the people in Marion ever learned where the tainted meat came from. Marion is a small Ohio town and most of everyone in the county knows each other or are related somehow. I was familiar with close tight network in that small town because my family is like reading the Who's Who of Marion County, Ohio. So I reworked the story for the tour. I changed names and curicumstances. After the tour was over I entered my short story into a contest and won third place. You can read the story here. http://xarrok.com/2012/07/vbt-field-of-grace-fiction-by-allison-bruning/

 At the same time as I was entering the contest I had started graduate school at Full Sail University and had to pick a thesis project. At first I had wanted to convert my book, Calico, (which is out of print ) into a television series. I started working on that and decided I wasn't a huge fan of the idea. I found that I liked writing screenplays more. I was asked in my research class to research something I could write about. I would have to give interviews with professionals as well. I decided I would research the food poisioning incident that had occured. I also wanted to write about Marion County, Ohio. At first I was going to interview my Amish friends about farming. Nathan had helped me before with farming techniques for my other projects. He gave me some insights for Field of Grace and off I went researching. If you know me well, you know I LOVE to research, especailly about history. The more I learned the more I was intriqued and realize with some tweeking this would make an awesome film. In my next class, Character Development with Roland Mann, I added to the characters of the story. Stella became Ida. I gave her a family that was based on her own, did more research and ran with it. I added a love interest. Herbert Danner became Albert Tanner, a recent German immigrant and is the grocer's son. In real life he was not that and they never knew each other at this time. I also added an antagonist by the name of Jeremiah Miller who is the brother of the local sheriff. He is responsible for the food poisioning. In my next class with Jennie Jarvas, I played around with the idea a little more. I added a supporting character named Patrick McIntrye. He's Ida's uncle and is suffering from PTSD after being a German hostage in WWII. I also added a potential love interest for him. Betsy Miller, Jeremiah's daugther. The story is still in the works and won't be finished until summer of 2013. 

What genre does your book fall under?  

Historical fiction with a strong female lead. It could also be steampunk.


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?  

It will be published by Master Koda Select Publishing. You can learn more about the house at http://masterkodaselectpublishing.com


How long did it take you to write the first draft of your book? 

I haven't started it yet. I plan to write it after I finish the screenplay. 




Give a one sentence synopsis of your work. 

 When a young Appalachian American woman learns her family is ill she must overcome a ruthless, father and his children bent on stopping her, even if that means he has to kill her to do so. 

What other works would you compare your story to?  

I would compare this to the Hunger Games because Ida reminds me alot of Katniss Everdeen. She even has the nightmares and a love interest that she wants to be with but has difficulty taking the next step with.  

Who or What inspired you to write this book? 

My family. Alot of the characters in this book are based on my mother's side of my family. Albert Ernst Tanner was named after my German grandfather and his brother. I added the experiences Albert had from the knowledge I have of German American during that time period. My grandparents naturalized in 1920 but were here before that. 









No comments:

Post a Comment