Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th, #America! Old Glory, A #Patriotic Poem


Two hundred and thirty seven years ago our forefathers, risking their own lives, created a great nation. In honor of America's Independence I wanted to share with you a patriotic poem that I wrote for my book, Reflections: Poems and Essays.

Old Glory
By: Allison Bruning
Oh say can you see…
The beauty of the red, white, and blue
She waves proudly over the land
Announcing to all
America has withstood
When no one said she would.

By the dawn’s early light…
Though tattered and torn
Old Glory waves in triumph
A symbol of freedom
Battered and bruised
Our soldiers cry our victory!

‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom…
Those fireworks above her proclaim
Bursting with color
Like bombs lit in the night
Recalling the battles fought
The lives lost
And the freedoms our soldiers protect.

I’m proud to be an American.....
Where my forefathers sacrificed all
When I think of my patriot
Words cannot express my heartfelt gratitude
What fears he must have had to know he faced an impossible task
In order that I and future generations would have a better life
So let those fireworks burst
Let Old Glory fly
Sing the songs and never forget

My country, 'tis of Thee,
Sweet Land of Liberty


I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July. Be proud of your country and enjoy celebrating her birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment