Saturday, July 27, 2013

My #writing routine #author #IAmWriting #bestseller

 Welcome back to my blog. Today is the eighth day in my 10 Day Writing Blogger Challenge and I was given the following challenge.

So what is my writing ritual?

Wow that's a great question. As most of my readers know I own Mountain Springs House, a publishing company in Louisville, Kentucky. I am also a writer. I use the term writer because I am not only a novelist but also write poems, short stories, screenplays, TV scripts, graphic novels, webseries, music videos and more. Basically, I write in all styles of writing for both the media and literary worlds. With so much to do I need a daily routine.

I usually wake up around 6am and head straight to the kitchen table where I spend time with God, work through the section of The Artist Way that I'm on, write my morning pages and then write a chapter of whatever book I happen to be writing on. It usually takes anywhere between 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs to get through it all. But this is my ME time. I rarely have personal writing time in the day since I am usually busy running the day to day operations of Mountain Springs House.

I spent most of my morning and early afternoon with the day to day operations. On a normal day, after lunch I'll take off my publisher hat and put on my screenwriter hat while I'm doing dishes and the laundry. I have several projects I am working on with two production companies. I used to use this time for my studies when I was in grad school but since I graduated with my MFA in Creative Writing on June 28 I devoted this time to continue with my screenwriting endeavors. It has paid off. I've been able to complete a few projects already by keeping my daily routine.

At the end of the day, if I was able to get to the bottom of my routine, I try to push out one or two more chapters of my next novel.

The weekend is a bit different for me routine wise. On Saturdays, if I'm not working an event, I wake up early and do what I normally do except instead of writing after my morning pages I spend that time on an Artist Date. I do not work on Saturday mornings but take this time to pamper my muse who loves to paint, color, draw, and other artistic ventures. Sometimes she'll give me story and other times she just enjoys the pampering. After my Artist Date is through I return to my regular routine.

Sunday's I go to church and when I come home I spend the rest of the time writing.

Well there you have it, Allison's writing routine. I hope you enjoyed learning about my writing habits. See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You do have a heavy workload. But, you do it well. I'm getting my routine together now. Starting Monday it's a new me, new routine!

    ReplyDelete