Sunday, July 21, 2013

New Worlds, New Adventures: An #Author Interview with Cody Martin #Japan #Sci-fi



Meet Cody Martin, 
author of 
"The Adventure Hunters."







This week I was asked to interview an author for the Mountain Springs House Blog Tour. As a screenwriter and a novelist I was interested in interviewing another writer who has explored both the literary and media worlds. Cody Martin was the perfect choice for this task. His book, "The Adventure Hunters", will be released by Mountain Springs House on October 9, 2013. 

Welcome to Inside the Secret World of Allison Bruning, Cody. I’m delighted to have you with us. Can you please tell my readers a little bit about yourself and your book?

 Thanks for having me, Allison. I’m glad to be here. As for me, I’m a SF and fantasy fan, as well as loving action movies. I grew up in Wyoming then moved to Alabama. After going to the University of Alabama I moved to Japan,where I live now. I’ve been there for six years so far. I do freelance writing and blogging, as well as work as a part-time English teacher. Adventure Hunters was originally a screenplay I wrote that I turned into novel form.

What inspired you to write Adventure Hunters? 

It began more than seven years ago, shortly after Lord Of The Rings came out. My stories up until then were mostly SF, so I wanted to try my hand at fantasy. I didn’t want to do a very Tolkien-esque world, so I went very low-fantasy style.

How did you start on your literary journey? 

It was an article on CNET about self-publishing. I had written some screenplays but was having trouble entering them into screenplay contests. I read the CNET article, checked out the sites like Smashwords and Kindle DPS and thought I would give it a try. I rewrote Adventure Hunters into prose form and went on from there. I fell in love with writing more after that. I guess in some way I have always wanted to be a writer but now I’m finally listening to that inner voice.

What is your writing process? Do you plan ahead or just write? Do you have a set time to write? We want to know everything. 

I’m still struggling with the writing process. AH took seven years because I would write for weeks, take months off at a time, go back to it, repeat the cycle. But I’m an outliner. I have tried to write stories by the seat of my pants but ended up getting lost and I abandoned them. When I outline, I split my story into four acts, figure out the opening, ending, plot point 1, plot point 2, and the midpoint. Then I do general outlines in each act, covering the basic need-to-know information. After I do that, making sure the structure works (after writing screenplays for so long, I’m big on structure), I’ll write the actual prose. I don’t have every single detail planned out but my outline is my blueprint. I have all the basics covered, the details come to me in the actual writing. I’ve learned that a lot changes during the writing, so I may have to make my outlines more specific. I’ve occasionally hit a wall because I didn’t have something thought out well enough. My two favorite authors are complete opposites when it comes to outlines: Stephen King doesn’t outline and Jeffery Deaver writes 100-140 page outlines. Writing in the early afternoon after lunch is my prime writing time.
Cody and Yoko Martin

I understand that you live in Japan. What is the one thing back in the states that you miss the most? 

Food. I don’t really like Japanese food. And it’s amazing that things you would think are the same everywhere are different. There is no breakfast sausage here (like Jimmy Dean’s), no pork and beans, stuff like that. There are a few import food stores but the price is outrageous. To buy a regular box of Kraft macaroni and cheese, I have to go to an import store where it is nearly $2.50 per box.

What is one thing in Japan that you couldn’t live without and why? 

My wife Yoko. She is the reason I’m staying. We met in Japan and got married in Hawaii. She has supported me in my writing pursuits and is the best thing that has happened to me.

I understand that you a Trekkie. If you could work under any captain which one would you chose and why? 

Good question! I find Archer to be the most personable, he looks like a good guy to hang around but Picard is the most trustworthy. I’d rather serve with Picard.

What department and rank would you like to have on that ship? Why? 

Something in sciences. Hardly anyone in a blue uniform dies! Seriously, not command. I am not a leader and being on the bridge crew would be such a demanding job. I’d probably make it to lieutenant or lieutenant commander, not above that I think. And I’d serve on the Enterprise-E. It’s my favorite Trek ship.

Do you have any other books in the works? If so, what are they and what are they about? 

I am in-between drafts of a SF book called The Super School Uniform, about a Japanese junior high school girl who gets an alien suit that grants her superpowers and now I’m in the planning phase of a horror novel. I intend to return to the world of Adventure Hunters, I just want to try a few different things first.

Thank you for joining me today. What is one thing you would like to say to my readers before we leave today? 

Feedback and comment! Authors have Facebook pages, Twitter, Amazon and Goodreads profiles. Talk to us. Engage us in conversation. Let us know how we are doing. With social media, the distance between fans and professionals (actors, writers, directors, musicians, what have you) is diminishing.  If you like, or even don’t like, our stuff please let us know. Get to know us on a more personable level. It’s especially easier with independent authors because we are our own staff. Readers today don’t have to wait until book signings or conventions to chat with writers. As Stephen King said, in truth most writers are needy. We spend so much time writing alone, closed off. When we finally open the door and get our book into the world and into the reader’s hands, we need to know it was worth it to you.

Who is Cody Martin?

An author and freelance writer, Cody L. Martin grew up in the beautiful mountains of Wyoming where he became an avid sci-fi fan. He wrote his first Star Trek fan fiction in high school and has since been branched out into sci-fi and action stories. Cody wrote his first novel Adventure Hunters in the same vein. He currently writes the monthly Star Trek column To Boldly Go… for In Genre. He works in Japan as a part-time English teacher in Yamaguchi Prefecture, and lives happily with his beautiful wife, Yoko. When he isn't writing he enjoys watching movies, reading and listening to Morning Musume, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, and other J-pop singers.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome. I found it interesting that you don't like Japanese food. What do you eat over there, then?

      Delete
    2. Yoko is good at "Westernizing" a lot of dishes. When I'm alone, I often eat out.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your interview, Cody! Very funny about the blue uniform. Very true, very true! I write low fantasy as well, but have yet to try my hand at sci-fi. I've been thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like fantasy, SF ranges from simple soft SF like E.T. to hard like Star Wars. Don't be scared of it, give it a try!

      Delete