Thursday, September 5, 2013

#IWSG: Anguishing over the #Antagonist #IAmWriting #Author #Bestseller


It's the first week of September and that means its time for my post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a monthly blog hop  started by author Alex J. Cavanaugh on his blog at http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com.au/p/the-insecure-writers-support-group.html. The purpose of the blog hop is defined as:

To share and encourage. 
Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. 
Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. 
It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

One of the hardest things for me to do when I am writing is to write from the antagonist's point of view. I'm not the kind of person who likes to hurt others nor am I confrontational. When I am writing from the antagonist's point of view I have to dig deep into a part of myself that I don't like within me. When I don't get to know my antagonist and their motives behind their actions it just makes my novel off balance. Don't be scared to get to know your antagonist. When I was in graduate school on of my professors told me that a good, well defined character has both good and bad qualities about them. In order to make my story believable I need to find out why my antagonist feels the way they do and what makes him or her stand against my protagonist. Your antagonist shouldn't be cardboard copy of the bad guy. He or she needs depth and a believable character. Once I realized I need to spend as much time in development with my antagonist as much as I did with my protagonist my writing grew. The richness of my plot was deeper and the story was more believable. Take the time and care to dig deep into the life of your antagonist. You might be surprised what you come up with for your novel.

2 comments:

  1. They should be the hero of their own story. It is hard to wrap your mind around things that are different than you, but that is a writer's job. good post.

    ReplyDelete