Friday, October 11, 2013

#IndieLife: It's all in the brand. #Iamwriting #bestseller



This week I learned a valuable lesson that I want to share with all my writing friends. I have been an author for five years and have learned a lot about the proper ways to utilize social media sites and about proper branding. My readers know that when they read a book I wrote they can expect a strong female lead in a story that has strong family elements to it. I have marketed myself well in promoting stories from a different perspective than what is normally told in literature. I understand target market well enough that I tend to market my books to the right group of people and still make enough sales for my book to make the Amazon Bestsellers List soon after it has been published. Yet, I will be the first to admit to you that I am still learning about all about marketing. Let's face it, I'm a creative genius who just wants to tell a story and needs help in marketing. Thank heavens, I met Tamara Sands.

When I'm not writing or promoting my own books I operate my publishing house, Mountain Springs House. I had recently hired Tamara as our house graphic artist. We soon became good friends. Tamara and her husband own Pixel Pod, a graphic design business based out of Georgia. Her mother in law, Lynn Hubbard, is our print formattor and had suggested Tamara to me. Tamara and I have become good friends since then.

Recently, Tamara was reviewing all of my social media sites when she had suggested the I coordinate all of my social sites, including my website, so they look the same. I had never thought of that before. She had created a logo for Lynn Hubbard and had seen a rise on Lynn's website eversince Lynn has started to use it. I said I would try it. She created this logo for me.

She chose to use a mama bear and her cubs because a mama bear is very protective of all of her cubs. I tend to be very protective of my family, the authors in my publishing house and any children that I teach. Let's face it, I'm an educator. I only want the best for people.

I have started to use this logo all over the internet from my website, twitter, facebook, etc. Wherever my name is being represented you will see my logo. My logo will also be in my printed books as well starting with Elsa. Why am I placing the logo everywhere? Well this way when a reader comes across my logo they can instantly associate the name with a brand. My brand.

Along with having a logo I have used the same background you see on this blog with my website and twitter page. That way a reader gets the same feeling all across the social networks and my website. I had chose the background you see because my background is in theatre arts. I grew up on stage and that stage presence has stayed with me throughout my life. I love to tell great stories and entertain people.

So when my readers see one of my sites what am I telling them? Allison is family oriented and will entertain you with great stories. That's my brand. That's what I want them to hear. What about the strong female lead part? Well my readers will get that when they see my book covers and read my book. Once your reader is hooked and understands your brand they will come back for more.

Keep writing and never give up on your dreams.



10 comments:

  1. Very interesting article, Allison. Thank you for sharing this insight. I, too, am learning about marketing. I come from a long line of oral storytellers, but in this new world, as my adoptive mother, Vi taqseblu Hilbert would say: I need to put my work in a different canoe to continue the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Marketing has always been the hardest thing for me but I am learning.

      Delete
  2. Great post on marketing. I love your logo and the reason behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. Tamara Sands of PixalPod made it for me.

      Delete
  4. Nice logo. The closest thing I have to a logo is the fact that I publish a lot of kitten pictures of my cat Therese in various spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had never thought of having a logo until recently. A friend of mine made it for me and I love the idea.

      Delete