Wednesday, February 5, 2014

#IWSG: Don't Let The Shame Monster Steal Your #Writing Thunder. @J_CameronLive



DON'T LET THE SHAME MONSTER STEAL YOUR WRITING THUNDER!



Shame. It's something every artist has. You've probably felt it when you were trying to create something. It's that little voice in your head that tells you not to pour your heart out in your writing because your work might hurt someone. So after you write something you just delete it. I'm infamous for stuff like that. It's hard for me to push through certain topics in my writing because I have an automatic writer's block that yells "Stop! Don't write that!" And what do I do? I stop writing. I don't go any deeper because I don't want to hurt someone. 

I've been working "The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity" by Julia Cameron every morning and came across this passage yesterday that really spoke to me.

"Many blocked people are actually very powerful creative personalities who have been made to feel guilty about their own strengths and gifts. Without being acknowledged, they are often used as batteries by their families and friends, who feel free to use their creative energies and disparage them. With these blocked artists strive to break free of their dysfunctional systems, they are often urged to be sensible when such advice is not appropriate for them. Made to feel guilty for their talents, they often hide their own light under a bushel for fear of hurting others. Instead, they hurt themselves."

I know what it means for someone to steal your creative energies. My mom always stole mine only to replace it with negatives. It took me a very long time to accept that I am a talented creative artist and that's ok. I broke away from my mom and others who were sucking my creative energies and surrounded myself with those who appreciated my abilities. I've thrived but I still have to face with the inner shame that I created out of the negative surroundings that I was raised in.  

It's hard to pour my heart and soul into a character who mirrors my own life or has to deal with issue  have. I've learned to push past the shame that lies inside me and when I do I find there is a cathartic release for me. A way of working through my personal issues. I still have moments when the inner shame is so large that it hinders my writing. There's are a few stories I have been holding onto that I want to write but am ashamed to even try. I won't throw them away because I know they need to be written. I plan to start working on them for a 2015 release. As a creative artists I can't allow shame to stop me from being the best writer I can be. I just need to push onward and have faith that I can write the story the way it needs to be written. 

Don't let others steal your creative energy. Don't let your personal shame stop you. JUST KEEP WRITING. Your inner artist will thank you for it. 


11 comments:

  1. Hey Allison,

    I'm helping Alex out this month as co-host and thought I'd stop by. I've read The Artist's Way and love the passage you've included! Let your creative light shine!

    Good to meet you. :)

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's been a wonderful journey so far.

      Delete
  2. Lady, I've got enough creativity to go around, and then some. In fact, if you could sell this stuff, I might be the richest woman in the world. What I don't have is time. Do you have any of that bottled up that I can buy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I did cause I'm in your same boat.

      Delete
  3. It is a hard thing for some to come to terms with. For me I think as long as I feel the issue was represented accurately then I am not so worried if some may be offended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to see it. You never know who you might help by sharing your experiences.

      Delete
  4. Sorry your family used to suck out your creativity. I feel very fortunate I was encouraged in that area.
    No one is there to tell you that you can't now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your innermost insecurities in such an honest and open manner!
    You sound like a brave and strong lady!
    Thanks for the reminder that we shouldn't let anybody steal our creativity... and well done for claiming your creativity!
    Stay positive!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It's been a long and hard journey yet a very fulfilled, healing one.

      Delete
  6. Hi Allison. It's certainly a difficult thing to share inner, personal thoughts like that. I had a breakdown 16 years ago and started writing about it probably 10 years ago but I never got very far with the story because it was too difficult and I was too ashamed and embarrassed. Now I'm in the process of revising the completed manuscript! I was finally able to restart it last year.
    Stay strong, you can do it. Write about it when you can, if you feel like it. You'll know when you're ready :)

    ReplyDelete