Tuesday, March 18, 2014

#ExpressYourself: A caring woman and #family secrets #Shawnee #IamWriting #Calico #TurnerFamilySaga


Express Yourself: 
My Favorite Character


Welcome back to my blog. This week I was asked "Name one favorite character you have written or read about." That is SO HARD. I have so many stories and characters it's hard to pick just one. I'm actually sitting here right now trying to figure out who I am going to write about today. LOL!



Time's Up. 

Alright. Of all the characters I have written. I would have to say my favorite so far has been Calico Marie Turner Lutree from the book, Calico. 

Calico is the daughter of Fran├žois and Anna Marie Turner Lutree (Dubious). She and her twin sister, Rose, were born in a Shawnee village during the French and Indian War. Calico's parents and uncles have lied to her since the day she was born because they all want to escape from their past. Their lies eventually endanger Calico and Rose. Calico is a very interesting character to me because of all the characters I have ever written I can relate to her the most. She doesn't quite feel like she fits in with her family and would rather be a member of a culture she wasn't born into. She's idealistic and has a good heart. She loves to help to others. She's intelligent, a leader in her own right, and spiritual. Calico believes the lies her family tells her and loves them unconditionally. Through that unconditional love she has touched the hearts of not only her white family but her Shawnee one as well. 



In the harsh northwestern frontier of Ohio and Kentucky, a prophecy has been told. A man whose heart appears pure shall deceive her. The power he holds over her will lead her to evil. She shall denounce the ways of Our Grandmother. Another man comes, whose pure heart beats for her alone, and who has a pure spirit devoted to the goddess, Our Grandmother. He shall defeat the evil and set her free. 

Calico Marie Turner, a white woman raised by the Shawnee and destined to become a great medicine woman, must trust the one man who hates her the most. How can she trust Chief Little Owl Quick as the Wind to save her from his best friend and village shaman, Hunting Bear?


Don't forget about the giveaway I am having on my blog this week. Five lucky winners will win copies of Bailey's Revenge. Bailey's Revenge tells the story of Calico's grandmother in Ireland. It's currently on the Amazon Bestsellers List for Irish Historical Fiction. 



No comments:

Post a Comment