Wednesday, March 5, 2014

IWSG: Get Ready for #CampNaNoWriMo

Spring! After the long winter we've had this year I'm SOOOOO ready for Spring. Dedicated writers everywhere are busy getting ready for the month long tort....uhm I mean celebration. Yeah, celebration, known as Camp NaNoWriMo. This year Camp NaNoWriMo occurs in April and June. I plan to attend both camp sessions. I have a goal of releasing four novels this year. How in the world can I do that? My little secret is Camp NaNoWriMo and NaNoWriMo in November. In fact, two of my published novels are NaNoWriMo projects.

My April project will be a historical fiction stand alone. You're shocked. I can hear it now. "Allison's writing a stand alone?" I know. I know. You're so use of my series that the thought I'm writing a stand alone is weird to you. The stand alone I'm working on developed out of a short story I wrote for a contest and then I converted that story into a screenplay. I'm now converting the screenplay to novel format. Field of Grace is based on a true event that happened to my great grandfather. Some of the characters are based on my relatives. I'm so excited to write this project.

In June I plan to work on the sequel to Calico titled, Lies and Deceit. Lies and Deceit will once again take us into the world of the Shawnee Nation as Calico and Little Owl have to face the family secrets that threaten to destroy their village.

What in the world is Camp NaNoWriMo?

Camp NaNoWriMo is summer sequel to the  National Novel Writing Month. The international event is
the perfect vacation that challenges writers to a complete novel in one month. I wont' lie to you. It can be torturous. But it's very fulfilling, too. So whose up for the challenge to write 50,000 words in one month?

Since it's conception by Chris Baty and twenty-one of his friends in 1999, the movement has grown to include thousands of participants worldwide. Many of the novels written in NaNoWriMo have been published by well known and respected publishing houses as well as small presses. There is a large list of published NaNo novels on the NaNoWriMo website that you can find here.

So how does NaNoWriMo work?
It's simple. Here are the rules.
1) Register and use the Camp NaNoWriMo site everyday. https://campnanowrimo.org/sign_in 
2)You can plan for your writing adventure by creating outlines and character sketches.
3) You cannot start writing before midnight April 1st. No cheating.
4) In order to win the competition you must have written and uploaded your 50,000 words by 11:59pm of April 30th.
5) No editing. Just keep writing. You can polish your masterpiece after Camp NaNoWriMo.
6) HAVE FUN!!!

Sounds simple enough, right?  Are you ready to take the plunge?

By: hjconti @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjconti/5148810423/

Here are some tips and tricks to survive Camp NaNoWriMo.

Connect With Other Camp NaNo Writers
If your region doesn't have a kick-off party or write ins you can still gain friendship and support from other writers via Facebook. There are several Camp NaNo groups online. I have one here you are more than welcome to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MSHNANO/


By: NaNoWriMo sticker by pottered4dwzei
Plan A Time To Write And Stick To It
Writing a novel takes dedication and commitment. Set a block of time in your daily schedule for writing and commit to it. It doesn't have to be done all at once. Just an hour or two a day. I set aside a couple of hours when I get up in the morning to do my NaNo writing. Once you commit to a time tell everyone you know not to disturb you during this time period. You're a novelist at work. No distractions - no social media sites, tv, phone calls, text, you get the picture.

Plan Ahead!
Write your outline and character sketches before you start writing.

Use A Camp NaNoWri Calendar
These are wonderful! In order to meet your goal of 50,000 words you need to write at least 1,667 words a day. Camp NaNoWriMo calendars are easy to find just by conducting a Google Search. I downloaded one and have it set as my wallpaper. Everyday on the calendar it lists the total or words your novel should have by the end of that day. Sometimes the calendars include motivational messages and dares.

Camp NaNoWriMo also charts your progress as you progress through the month. Make certain to upload your word count at the end of each day and keep track of your progress on paper as well.

When Your Stuck Use A Dare And/Or A Sprint
A dare is any idea someone else has submitted for you to include in your novel. These can be regional, national or international dares. Some are so outlandishly funny you want to include them in your book.

A sprint is when you and/or other people write consecutively for 10, 15, 20 or 30 minutes. At the end of the allotted time you count your words and announce your total to your friends who had participated with you.

HAVE FUN!!!!



4 comments:

  1. Good luck with Camp nanowrimo. I didn't realize they were doing April and June this year. I may join you in June. I have done it several times and always enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had my months mixed up at one point. I thought the June one was in July until someone had corrected me. I'm so glad they did. I would have been a month off.

      Delete
  2. I'm so ready for spring. So are my daffodils, they are trying to poke up from the frozen, snow covered ground. Poor, confused flowers.

    Wow - four novels this year. Go you! It took me two years to write one =P

    Elsie
    AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge
    co-host IWSG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wrote my first novel, Calico, in one summer. I learned over the years how to push out more than one novel a year. It took some time for me to get where I am today.

      Delete