Tuesday, May 27, 2014

#ArmchairBEA: Author Interaction/More Than Just Words



Author Interaction

I love all of my fans. One of the most memorable experiences I have ever had with a fan is when Sarita Love turned from fan into my personal cheerleader. She was so excited after reading Calico (Children of the Shawnee series) that she ask for book 2. I am currently working on the second book of the series. Every time I was on Facebook she would ask me "Are you writing? When is the next book coming out?" One day she told me, "Write! Write! Write! I need more." Sarita has become my number one fan. If I had a fan club she would more than likely be the president of it. She reminds me to never give up no matter how hard having a writing career can be. 



More Than Just Words

Transmedia. I had never heard of the word until I was in graduate school working on my MFA in Creative Writing at Full Sail University. Our world has drastically changed since the Internet came online in the 90's. There use to be a time when a writer's story would only be in books.  No longer. If a writer's story is to be successful then they must be able to present that same story as transmedia. Transmedia means the same story is told in game, television, screenplay, book and comic formats. Writers can no longer sit back and just write a novel if they want a successful writing career. They need to understand how to write in each of the formats. Every time you take a story and adapt it from one form to the other the story will change. Writers need to be flexible enough in their thinking to allow these changes to occur and for other people to make changes to their story. Agents, managers and publishers tend to favor the writer who can write effectively in all media formats because they know that a story is more likely to be profitable if it is presented in more than one market.

 I am so grateful I learned how to write in all media forms with my MFA. The education I received at Full Sail has changed my writing process for the better. It has opened my mind to expressing my creativity in new forms that has opened new doors for my writing career. I am currently writing the screenplay for my book, Calico, and the novel form for my screenplay, Field of Grace. I want all of my stories to be transmedia. That takes hard work and stretches my mind. But I wouldn't have it any other way. 

24 comments:

  1. Alison
    Sounds like a great author interaction and fan moment! I wish you all the best in future writing. I found your Transmedia interesting. I guess authors do need to get picked up for more than just a book, although sometimes I won't watch it when it has been turned into a move - but other times I am all in.
    Found the name Bruning interesting, as my mother's mother was a Bruning - a German family who came out to New Zealand, so I was alerted by your family name.
    Hope Armchair BEA is a great time for you.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn. Thanks for stopping by. My paternal grandparents were immigrants from Germany. My grandmother was from the Black Forest area and my grandfather was from Northern Germany around Bremen. I don't know much about their side of the family since they died before I was born. Bruning is such a common name. It means Brown in German. Which is so funny because my grandmother was a red head. I loved her name. It was Johanne Elisabeth Weirs.

      I had never heard of transmedia until I went to Full Sail University. It makes so much sense for a writer to work in transmedia. Authors have a hard time selling just one book because the way our world is changing. Some days I just wish this upcoming generation would read more books. It's hard to imagine, somedays, that these kids have always had the internet, cell phones, tablets and laptops. I feel so old. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Having someone cheering you on, does sound like a great motivator.
    And adapting a novel to make it suitable for on the screen must be difficult at times. good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a cheerleader. It's hard to have a writing career. There are so many up and down moments. Adapting a novel to screenplay isn't an easy thing to do. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I love hearing about the interaction form the otherside. And I had never heard the term Transmedia before. I knew the idea but now I have a term to use to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm just floored so many people think authors are like celebrities. We don't look at ourselves that way. LOL. We love it. We need to hear all the wonderful things our readers have to say about our books.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that this idea of writing a book and seeing it translated into many different media was called transmedia. Nice to have a name now! A writer's life seems a lot more stressful now than it was years ago. At the very least, they need to see if their book can be made into a movie. It's nice to have so many media options available, but I wonder if that takes away some of the fun for the person writing the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it all depends on who the writer is. There aren't many novelists who can write in other media forms. I love converting my story ideas into other writing forms.

      Delete
  5. Interesting post. New to the term "transmedia," but not the concept. It is a changing world out there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always. I never ceases to amazing me. I'll figure one thing out in the literary world and just when I do it changes. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Well I love it when an author will interact with readers. It means a lot to know you are appreciated. Most authors I have met via Twitter have been kind and appreciative. And when I love a book it is great to become their cheerleader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all my readers. They keep me going.

      Delete
  7. I have a friend who went to Full Sail, and he has nothing but good things to say about it, too! And Sarita sounds like such an awesome fan. :)

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full Sail was intense but I loved it. My experiences there totally changed my life for the best. I became a better writer because of it.

      Sarita is amazing.

      Delete
  8. It must be so rewarding as a writer to meet your fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best experiences. Writing can be a lonely career. You're often lost in your own world and when you come back to reality you need to hear your appreciated.

      Delete
  9. Gahhhh I should have taken a screenwriting class or some other class that was outside my comfort level when I went to college. And Sarita sounds like a really cool fan! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great. It can be scary when you first try it but you have to push through the fear and write.

      Sarita is awesome.

      Delete
  10. I love your story about your fan turned cheerleader. That is the thing with diehard readers, if they like something they will shout it from the rooftops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you have a wonderful fan!

    I had a fun time recently on Twitter. I was discussing how much I enjoyed a book with someone else and hoping that the sequel would be out soon. The author piped in to say that she appreciated the reviews and was working hard on the next book. I hope our conversation was a bit of encouragement during the hard work of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it was. Writing can be such a lonely job and it helps when we come out of our holes to hear great news about our books.

      Delete
  12. Your story about Sarita makes me think of an author I met. I read her first book, The Sea-God at Sunrise, and fell in love with it. I've pleaded with her, at least on a weekly basis, to please finish book #2 so I can keep reading. That was over a year ago, I'm still waiting.
    Ashley (Closed the Cover)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should cheer her like Sarita does "Write...write....write...."
      "What are you doing online? Write....write....write..."
      LOL

      Delete