Wednesday, May 28, 2014

#ArmchairBEA: Expanding #Blogging Horizons and Novellas/#ShortStories



Expanding Blogging Horizons

When I started blogging four years ago my blog was a mess. I had no idea what I was doing. I would sit there and just stare at the screen. How could I write 700 pages for a novel in two months but have such a hard time coming up with one single 350 word post? It just baffled me. 

In 2012, I hired a social media coach to help me with my blog. She taught me to chose two days a week. One the first day I would post an article about something related to my most current release and on the other day I would post about a topic that is of interest about my WIP. She also taught me I could break up a post into a series but the series should not go past 5 postings. I've been following that formula ever since. I also participated in my first blog hop with her. I learned how successful they could be for any blogger. Since leaving her I have participated in blog hops and have won several blogging awards.


My blog has recently expanded to include two monthly blog hops, two weekly blog tours, and a special series that highlights authors and those working in screenwriting. I still like to participate in special blog hops as much as I can. I've also recently redesigned my blog so that it includes links to all my books and my readers can see the books I plan to write. These can be found in the pages. Another page on the blog includes all my interviews, reviews and guest postings. I linked my website to my blog on the side bar where my logo is and have listed my blog in three major blog networking sites. 

Novellas/Short Stories 

I love writing short stories! 

I had a hard time at first with writing them because I tend to write epics. Short stories challenge me and I love a great challenge. I tend to write short stories or participate in a short story anthology while I am in between novels. In fact, my publisher, Mountain Springs House, is in the process of releasing the short story I wrote that inspired my current WIP. I have a few other short stories on the back burner just dying for me to finish and hand them over to the editor. 

Here are two of the short stories/anthologies that I have written. 


Reflections: Poems and Essays doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. It's a collection of historical essays from my blog and poetry that I have written over the years. It's a little gem that those who have read it have absolutely loved. 

The waters of time never lie. Wisdom drifts down through the ages for all who dare to listen. History teaches us through honesty. Are you bold enough to hear the truth?

Reflections: Poems and Essays wraps you in the untold stories of the past. Sit next to the waters of time and listen to the wisdom of the past. What if John Wilkes Booth hadn't been killed at Garret's barn? Who are the Shawnee? Why did the Cherokee accuse Sequoyah of witchcraft?

These stories and more await you within this inspiring book.


Who is the Real John Wilkes Booth is an essay that I originally wrote in high school with Nate Orlowek. Does that name sound familiar with you? It should. Nate Orlowek has been on many television shows throughout the years for his theory that John Wilkes Booth did not die at Garrett's barn but had died an old man in Oklahoma. I first met Nate when I was sixteen years old. We have been great friends ever since. I updated my essay and Mountain Springs House released it this year. It's a great read that will leave you questioning everything you learned about the death of John Wilkes Booth. I have obtained the rights from Nate Orlowek to use his research to write a screenplay and novel about John Wilkes Booth's deception.






19 comments:

  1. I'd actually never heard of Orlowek's theory before, but that's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine. Here's a link to a recent interview he did with The Verge. http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/31/4395960/john-wilkes-booth-killed-lincoln-but-who-killed-john-wilkes-booth

      Delete
  2. I'm just learning all sorts of things today! I didn't know that there WERE social media coaches! It's easy to be a blogger writing reviews-- I just post one every day. It would be harder to organize things if one were a writer. Yours does look good. Hope Armchair BEA is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had no idea there was such a thing either until a few years ago. My blog was updated by Mountain Springs House and Graphics. www.mspringspub.com They have a wonderful staff over there.

      A writing career is a complex thing. There's so much to do. I couldn't possibly do it all by myself and once I figure something out the literary world changes it. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I myself will sooner by a complete novel by an author than a bundle of short stories if I do not know the author yet. Once I know I love an author's work, I might also buy any collections that author has written depending on the theme and things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know that there was any such thing as a social media coach. Thank you for sharing your formula with us.
    -Flirting with Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. The time you spent with that social media coach really paid off didnt it? Your site certainly looks lively. Does it take you a lot of time to keep updated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did.

      Thank you.

      Not really. Once you have a blog on a schedule it's easier to keep it updated. I started using Hootesuite to keep everything up to date.

      Delete
  6. I am a fan of Hootsuite too. Although I don't think that I am using it most effectively. I am in the group with Sullivan McPig. I am more likely to buy a complete novel by an author than a bundle of short stories if I do not know the author yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Skeeter,

      I was using Hootsuite a few years ago and now am back at using it again. I like that it takes care of my postings. My blog on the other hand, I have to schedule those postings through blogger.

      Delete
  7. Such great tips here - I love how proactive you were with making your blog so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I only wanted the best for my readers.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you found your blogging groove! Good for you for finding help when you needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about having writer's block when it comes to posts. I still have that problem somedays, and I definitely do when it comes to writing poetry or short stories or starting a book (someday!). I'm glad to hear your blog has come a long way since you started. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy that you were able to navigate the sea of blogging smoothly. Good job on having such an organized posting schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  11. never heard about a social media coach before but that makes sense

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your blogging tips. Congrats on the awards you've won! By the way, which blog hops do you participate in? Great post!

    Tamara (Shelf Addiction)

    ReplyDelete