Monday, May 26, 2014

#ArmchairBEA: Introductions and #Literature




The Armchair BEA has finally arrived!
I'm so happy!


This year is my first year attending the Armchair BEA and if you couldn't tell I'm very excited about it. The Armchair BEA is an annual online event for book bloggers and authors that is held at the same time as the Book Expo America and BEA Blogger Convention in New York. Hundreds of bloggers and authors from around the world are participating in the online convention. You can learn more by visiting the Armchair BEA website

Every participant in the Armchair BEA has been given an agenda to follow. We will be posting topics based on the same theme. I will be doing this in conjunction with my normal posting routines. 

So let's get the party started! 

 Introductions 

I was given ten questions and asked to answer five of them. It was so hard to chose just one because they were all great questions. But after some thought I chose the following: 

1) Who is Allison Bruning?


I am a historical fiction author who hails from Marion, Ohio but lives in Indianapolis, Indiana. Most of my novels take place in Ohio, especially in area of Marion County. My novels tend to have strong female protagonists with strong family values. My readers are taken into worlds that are usually not heard from in historical text. For example, my first book, Calico, is written from the Shawnee Nation's viewpoint not the white man. 


I have been blogging for four years. I started my writing career in 2008 when my husband and I moved to Kentucky from Texas. Calico was published two years later. An author friend of mine had suggested that I start a blog and write about topics that pertain to my books. I have been writing interesting historical and cultural anthropological posts ever since. 


2) How would I describe my blog in just one sentence?


Inside the Secret World of Allison Bruning is a journey into little known worlds of historical places, people and events. 



Website:

Twitter:

Facebook:

Google+

Pinterest:


3) What genre do I like to read the most?

I love to read historical fiction because I have a strong interest in history and cultures. 

4) What does your ideal reading space look like?


I think this picture I found on Pinterest says it all except I would want to be deeper in the woods. It was created by English painter Sir Luke Fildes (1843-1927) and titled Reading in the Woods. 


5) What book would you love to see as a movie?

I would love to see my book, Elsa, as a movie. Elsa is about a young woman in 1905 Marion County, Ohio who unconditionally loves a man with Aspergers Syndrome in a time when Aspergers had yet been discovered. All Elsa Garrett wants in life is to be Franklin’s wife. He’s asked her father for her hand and knows he has permission to ask her. Yet when and how would her boyfriend with Aspergers Syndrome ask the question?

When Franklin has a diabetic seizure all hope seems lost once Elsa learns Franklin can no longer marry her due to an obscure law in Ohio relating to his seizure. With the help of Franklin’s parents, Elsa has a plan. But will it work?

Lost in a society that doesn’t understand Franklin or why she would ever choose to be with him, Elsa comes face to face with death, destruction, and misfortune as she tries to clear her boyfriend’s name. With each step towards progress Elsa falls two steps behind. One simple task shifts her entire life towards a direction she could have never imagined. Alone, pregnant, and without her Franklin, is despair all she has to look forward to in her new life, or will fate finally bring them together?



Literature

What do I think about when I hear the world literature? Well first off, you have to understand one thing about me. Well, ok, maybe a few things about me. 

1) When I was in school I was considered an accelerated reader because I was reading three grades higher than I should have been at.
2) I took so many literature courses in college because I was obsessed with the written language that many of my professors thought I should become an English major. I did for a brief time but ended up obtaining a BA in Theatre Arts. 

So when I think of literature my mind instantly goes back to the thick William Shakespeare book that I had fallen in love with in college. I also think about the classics like Mary Louise Alcott, Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, Laura Ingalls Wilder and Harriet Beecher Stowe. 

But, now this is where the linguistic part of me comes in, you can't forget the ancient texts. I LOVE ancient texts. To me, the most amazing part of literature is how different cultures can tell the same story without having ever come into contact with each other. It's the same theme and/or circumstances but with different characters. 


40 comments:

  1. Historical fiction is my favorite way of learning about the past! And I love your reading picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. What time period do you like to read the most about?

      Delete
  2. Hi Allison,
    Thanks for dropping by on my blog.
    I must say Calico sounds intriguing. I'll have to keep it mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison, Nice to "meet" you. Wonderful post, thank you for sharing! I hope you enjoy the rest of Armchair BEA!

    I blog at Shelf Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. "To me, the most amazing part of literature is how different cultures can tell the same story without having ever come into contact with each other."

    Well said! I like how literature opens our eyes to different cultures and different worlds (when you're reading fantasy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chachic. I love to read fantasy too. You can tell a lot out a culture by the literature that comes out of it.

      Delete
  5. Your book sounds great! I have to take a look at it. That reading space is cozy - I wish I had a little lake on my property - would be so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I dream of the day I can have a place out in the country with a lake. It would be the perfect reading place.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog! I love historical fiction too. I'm reading a terrific book right now called Hild -- you must read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. What time period is Hild set in?

      Delete
  7. I love the beautiful reading area that you have chosen. It is a pleasure to meet you. Best of luck with your book. May it make it to the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm currently working on the screenplay adaptation of my first book, Calico.

      Delete
  8. We are practically neighbors. The Tri State area OH-KY-WV area is ripe for storytelling and has such a long tradition of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello neighbor! My great-grandmother's family was from Doddridge, West Virginia. I use to love to listen to her stories. There's nothing like listening to the stories of your Appalachian Irish kin.

      Delete
  9. Enjoy your first Armchair BEA! It's such a fun event! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've had a blast reading everyone's blog postings today. There are so many. LOL!

      Delete
  10. Hi Allison! Thanks for stopping by. Your introduction is great and I hope that all of your novel dreams come true. :)

    Vanessa @ Bluest Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Vanessa. Thank you for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  11. This is such a great post and I could respond to a million things! :D I'll just say that I remember and LOVE the Yeh Shen story. Oh, and MIDWEST rules ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. All I can say is "Yeah to the Midwest!" We're so kewl we use to the be the wild frontier of America.

      Delete
  12. I hope you have a really fantastic week of Armchair BEA! I've participated here and there for a few years and it's always such a great time.

    So very neat about your book--do you already have actors in mind that you would love to see play your characters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had a great time yesterday. I had never participated in a Twitter Party before. I loved it! My Tweet Chat was moving so fast it was hard to keep up. LOL!

      I have always wanted Jennifer Lawerance to play the lead in one of my movies. That would be awesome. My cousin is Jesse Lee Soffer. We have never met but I wouldn't mind him playing a part in one of my movies.

      Delete
  13. I love your ideal reading space! I would never leave ;) and I really need to read more historical fiction. it's an amazing genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel the same way. Now just to make it a reality. LOL!

      I have three historical fiction books you could read. ;-)

      Delete
  14. This is also my first year participating in armchair BEA. I love the woods! It would be a great reading place indeed, although for some reason I still prefer to read indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you enjoying it? I have been having a blast so far.

      Delete
  15. I wasn't expecting authors to join the virtual BEA as well. It's really cool that they do that too :).

    You must be doing a lot of research for your books. I have to admit history has never been my strong suit *ducks and hides*. Maybe it has something to do with the way they teach it at school...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roberta.

      I love doing research. I do a lot of it for my books.

      I think most people have the same reaction you do to history because of the way we are introduced to it through school. It's so cut and dry in the history books. I want people to go beyond the facts and see history as reality.

      Delete
  16. I love that you love to write strong females! I'll definitely be checking out your work. :)

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristen. I look forward to reading your reviews on them.

      Delete
  17. Stopping by from #ArmchairBEA! Gave you some ♥ on bloglovin'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! I will have to check out your books, I have a degree in Anthropology, and though I'm not using it in my career (unless you count needing excavation skills for my desk at work) it is still one of my favorite subjects. My husband is actually from Ohio, so he will be amused that *I* have found someone from there for a change instead of him! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaunesay,
      What was your favorite discipline of anthropology? I love archeaology and cultural anthropology. There is just so much you can learn about a person from their culture.

      I can't wait to read your reviews of my books.

      What part is your hubby from? I'm from Marion, which is the Northcentral region.

      Delete
  19. As an author, do you enjoy the research or the writing more? My books require a lot of research (usually science) and I love that part of the process the most. I like to hunt for stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both parts. I do a lot of research for my novels. I find it all so fascinating. The best part of the writing is bring the research to a new light that makes history enjoyable to learn.

      Delete
  20. Great meeting you. I hope you had a great ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You as well. I had a wonderful time at the ABEA.

      Delete