Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thanks for the Memories, My #Veterans



Veteran's Day 2014

I may be a bit young. In fact, I think I might be the one of the youngest to say this. To be honest it seems quite odd to be in my late thirties and admit that my father fought in WWII. People use to give me the strangest looks when I told them that. 

Today I not only honor all of the men and women in my family that bravely served our country. But I honor the two men that shaped me into the woman I am today. My father, Roland Irving Bruning, and my grandfather, Freeland Devere Carr. I had my father in my life until I was nine years old. After my father died my grandfather took the place as my father figure. These two wonderful men taught me honor, discipline, respect, love and so much more. They also taught me family means more than anything. They laid the foundation of my faith. These brave men faced so much in their lives. The taught me to respect the flag and good citizenship. I was raised on Swing Dance, Bob Hope and John Wayne.



But most of all they taught me never to forget the sacrifices of those who fought for my country. 

My mother's side of the family fought from the Revolutionary War to the Gulf War. Her father, Freeland Devere Carr, was a paratrooper for the army in WWII. 
Freeland Devere Carr 1924 - 2000

My father's parents were immigrants from Germany in the beginning of the 20th century. He and his brother were born in New Jersey. My father was ten years younger than his brother. His family faced the prejudice and hardships so many German-Americans faced in both wars. My father was a salvage diver in the United States Navy during WWII and Korea. He chose to fight against Germany because he loved his country.

Roland Irving Bruning
1925 - 1985
Thanks for the memories, Dad and Grandpa Carr!


No comments:

Post a Comment