Thursday, May 28, 2015

#ArmchairBEA: Visual Storytelling


One of the most interesting things that has happened to me in my writing career was the ability to see my words transformed into a music video. A few years ago, I was asked by a production company located in Indianapolis, Indiana to create a music video for the Scottish-American band, Highland Reign. I was asked to work closely with the band members. I listened to their song many times and created a treatment for the video. I had never written a music video before and, to be quite honest, was very excited to do so. I worked for a month then handed the script over to the band for their approval. They absolutely loved it. I moved to Indianapolis the weekend the band was shooting the film. The production company learned of my background in dance and theatre then asked me to choreograph and assistant direct the film. I agreed. Here's the video:


There's something magical that happens with a storyline when it goes from written word to screen. Writing a music video is completely different than adapting a book to film. If you have ever read a book then saw a movie, TV adaptation, or read a graphic novel with the same story it will always be different. Sometimes the transformation doesn't always work and sometimes it does. Here's an explanation on why stories may not always be the same when it's adapted from book to movie.

I am so in love with the multimedia aspect of storytelling that I have a few projects in the works. I have written a few shorts and screenplays. I am currently adapting one of my screenplays into book format while trying to adapt Calico into a screenplay. I also have a few graphic novel ideas that I am working on as well. The hardest part about creating a graphic novel is that I am not an artist. It's hard for writers to find artists who are willing to work with your story at an affordable rate. 

2 comments:

  1. What a fun and interesting opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it. I'm hope more opportunities like that one come my way.

      Delete