Monday, May 4, 2015

WhatsUpWithAllison: Once a Girl Scout Always a #GirlScout


What's Up with Allison:

Once a Girl Scout Always a Girl Scout


I absolutely LOVE Girl Scouts! I first learned about Girl Scouts in the summer between Kindergarten and First grade. No one in my family had ever been in Girl Scouts before. I was sitting on the front porch of my grandmother's house in downtown Marion, Ohio watching a parade with my mom and my grandparents when I first saw them. A troop of Brownies were marching in the parade. They seemed to be having so much fun. I told my mom I wanted to be just like them. A few weeks after school started my mom enrolled me. I marched in my first parade that year. 


Most girls would drop out of Girl Scouts after their Junior years but I loved the organization so much that I stayed all the way through into adulthood. I went places and did things that I would never have been able to do without Girl Scouts. I even earned the highest award in Girl Scouting - The Gold Award. 


Girl Scouts fostered my love for adventure, camping and exploration. I am the woman I am today because of Girl Scouts. Now it's my turn to give back to Girl Scouts. After I bridged from Senior to Adults I become an assistant leader of a mixed troop of Daisies/Brownies in Alpine, Texas. I learned so much that year on how to run a troop. I took a few years off from being involved in Girl Scouts; except for when I was a camp counselor at Camp Mitre Peak in Alpine, Texas; then got back into it after I married. I was a troop leader for Brownies in Big Spring, Texas for a few years then had to quit because my husband and I had moved. Life happened and now I'm back. This time I have two troops in the Girl Scouts of Central Indiana Girl Scouts Council. My first troop is located on the westside of Indianapolis and is comprised of Daisies/Brownies. My second troop is at Todd Academy, where I am the head of the Elementary Department and the 3rd/4th grade teacher. That troop is comprised of Brownies and a Junior. I periodically combine my troops so they can go on adventures together. 




















Last weekend I took some of my girls to their first platform tent camping trip. They had had a sleepover the month before. I had signed the girls up for our service unit's camporee at Camp Dellwood. It was supposed to be a beautiful weekend yet when we got there it rained all day long. All my girls were first time campers. Yet, unlike the other troops they stuck it out and continued to camp in the rain. I am SO VERY PROUD OF THEM. The ranger told me we were the only troop that stuck it out in the rain. Even the older girls decided to leave their campsite. The ranger was so impressed with my troops that he invited to take them horseback riding this month. He's been telling everyone at council and his friends how strong my girls are. That's what Girl Scouts are all about. Helping girls become strong, wise young women. Juliette Gordon Low would be so proud of them.






No comments:

Post a Comment