Saturday, August 13, 2016

Dear Diary: In the Words of Lieutenant Michael Sanders

 Dear Diary:
In the Words of 
Lieutenant Michael Sanders

(Children of the Shawnee: 
Lies and Deceit)

Dear Diary, 

It has been a long day and an even longer week, if that is possible. The past few months I have spent organizing the men and preparing for the inevitable war with the Shawnee. I know it will only be a matter of time before they should attack our fort yet again. Each day, I wake up wondering if this will be the day or not. The longer I wait the more anxious I become. Thankfully, I have my beloved Rachel by my side. Lord Dunmore has made it quite clear the only females allowed at the station are the underaged daughters of soldiers or their wives. Rachel and I were quickly wed by a local Anglican minister so we could remain together. I am eternally grateful to Lord Dunmore for his ruling. I have been wanting to marry her for sometime but my military duties and station had prevented me from doing so. We are both so delighted to be together that there isn't a night where we don't give into our marital responsibilities. 

This morning, Rachel delivered a most disturbing order to me. It seems Lord Dunmore has requested my presence in his office. The order came within a day since I had received a letter from my father. My father has requested that I be transferred to Boston. While I would love Rachel to meet my family, I do not think it would be wise for me to transfer back home. It's only been four years since I ordered my men to shoot into the civilian mob. I was fortunate to escape from punishment for the Boston Massacre but the Sons of Liberty haven't forgotten. The demand that I hang for murder. I am quiet certain, should I return to Boston they will leave my wife a widow. Let us hope to God Lord Dunmore doesn't accept my father's request.

I must go. I hear General Braddox calling for me. 
Michael Sanders 

No comments:

Post a Comment