Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Mysterious Ohio: Hoppy's Grave @CampMowana

MYSTERIOUS OHIO
Hoppy's Grave

A few years ago I shared the legend of Hoppy's Grave on this blog. It has since been removed because I wanted to put it into print. The story of Hoppy, his cave and his hidden grave have been passed down for generations at Camp Mowana. 

Camp Mowana is a wonderful ELCA summer camp that has been a family favorite all over Ohio.



 I was a camper there in the 80's and early 90's. I was head over heels in love with the camp. I have always been drawn to the forest. I spent more times hiking around the woods instead of playing with dolls or makeup. Camp Mowana was a mystical place for me where I learned to merge my love of nature with my faith. I loved being able to do a devotional out in the woods, the campfires, hikes, playing capture the flag in a large field, canoeing, and listening to the stories. 

This year, I decided to do something that hasn't ever been done. Put the legend of Hoppy in a book. I was going to write it as an adult book but then decided it really should be a picture book. I told my plans to my friend, Evelyn Hills. Eveyln is an illustrator at Boquillas' Window. She was so drawn to the story that she asked if she could illustrate it for me.  Evelyn  worked for weeks on them. Here are just a few of the images. 







The book is currently in formatting. I can't wait to share this beautiful story with my readers. It will be a picture book for 1st - 2nd grades. 

2 comments:

  1. This is my first time here, Allison. I've followed your blog both in network blogs and individually.

    I'm a camper, too. You might enjoy some of our family camping adventures at http://campingwithfivekids.blogspot.com.

    All the luck with your writing and the forthcoming book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria,

    Thank you for following me and for the good luck.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete